Walorski honors Mynsberge with nine military service awards
MISHAWAKA, IN –Rep. Jackie Walorski (IN-02) presented U.S. Navy veteran Maurice Mynsberge with nine military service awards at a ceremony in her Mishawaka District Office today, joined by St. Joseph County Veteran Service Officer Kevin Kelsheimer and Mishawaka’s VFW Post 360 Commander Steve Vellner.
“When our nation calls, Hoosiers are amongst the first to respond,” said Walorski, a member of the House Armed Services Committee. “I am deeply humbled to award Mr. Mynsberge with these much deserved military awards, and extend my sincere gratitude to his family for their sacrifice and support.”
Mr. Mynsberge served for 12 years in the United States Navy aboard the USS Dyson DD-572 during WWII, traveling to Guam, India, Philippines, Hebrew Island, Australia, New Zealand, Guadalcanal and many other countries. He began his service as a Fireman First Class, and after less than three years, was promoted to Chief Machinist Mate (CMM).
Mysnberge was also commended for his service by President Harry Truman.
Walorski presented Mr. Mynsberge with the following awards:
- World War II Victory Medal
- American Campaign Medal
- Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal (w/1 silver and 1 bronze star appurtenance)
- Navy Occupation Service Medal (w/Asia Clasp)
- Presidential Unit Citation Ribbon
- Discharge Button
- Honorable Service Lapel Pin (Ruptured Duck)
- Philippine Liberation Medal
- Philippine Presidential Unit Citation