Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies.
As your representative in Congress, each year I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of students from Indiana’s 2nd District to four of the five U.S. service academies: the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y.; the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.; the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Applying for a Nomination
My office is currently accepting applications from the high school graduating class of 2022. The deadline to submit an application for next year is Friday, October 29, 2021.
To request a military academy nomination from my office, please contact the service academy or academies of your choice and request that they start your candidate file. Then follow the instructions below to submit an application. In order to be eligible for a nomination, you must be a U.S. citizen between the ages of 17 and 23, a resident of Indiana’s 2nd Congressional District, and unmarried with no dependents. You must also be in excellent academic standing and of high moral character. Acceptance of a service academy appointment requires a commitment of four years at an academy, followed by at least five years of military service.
For more information about the nomination process, you can visit the Military Service Academy Nominations FAQ page. If you have additional questions or need assistance with the application, please call my office at (574) 204-2645.
To request a nomination to a military service academy, please follow these instructions carefully. Applications are due by Friday, October 29, 2021.
1. Contact the service academy to which you would like to be nominated. Inform them you wish to apply and ask them to start your candidate file.
2. Fill out the application form. Check that all required fields (marked with an asterisk*) are completed and the information is correct.
3. Read and sign the Application Agreement at the end of the application. Keep a copy for your records.
4. Include the following items with your application:
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- Official copies of ACT and/or SAT results, if available
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
5. Mail the completed and signed application and additional materials to:
Office of Congresswoman Jackie Walorski
Attn: Academy Nominations
202 Lincolnway East, Suite #101
Mishawaka, IN 46544
You will be contacted in October or November to schedule an interview.
Updates on the COVID-19 Pandemic
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the service academies have temporarily suspended or modified certain outreach activities, including tours. However, the nomination and admission process continues to move forward. The latest information can be found at the links below: