“Hardworking Hoosiers send too much of their hard-earned money to Washington and spend too much time figuring out their taxes. Today we are one step closer to changing that. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act delivers a fair and simple tax code that will let working families keep more of their paychecks. And it will help American businesses grow, invest in our communities, hire more workers, and raise wages. I look forward to working with the Senate to send tax reform legislation to President Trump’s desk so hardworking Americans have a better chance to live the American Dream.”
Read my op-ed in the South Bend Tribune
By Jackie Walorski
We’ve all heard the reasons why we need tax reform: Our tax code hasn’t been updated in 31 years. It’s complicated, antiquated, and unfair. It’s holding our economy back.
But you don’t have to read all 70,000-plus pages of the tax code to know it’s hurting American workers and families.
Hoosiers know this system is broken. You send too much of your hard-earned money to Washington and spend too much time figuring out your taxes. The tax code favors special interests, not hardworking Hoosiers like you.
It’s time to change all that.
When I joined the Ways and Means Committee, I set out to give Hoosiers a voice in this once-in-a-generation opportunity to fix our broken tax code. We worked with President Trump to come up with a plan that puts families, small businesses, manufacturers, and farmers first.
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will finally deliver the fair and simple tax code you deserve — one that cuts taxes for middle-class families and once again makes America the best place in the world to start and grow a business.
This bill will give workers and businesses a better chance to succeed. It will simplify the tax code by eliminating special-interest loopholes. And it will let you keep more of the money you earn.
Read the rest of the op-ed here.
Read about the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Click here to read the full legislative text of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Click here to read a detailed summary of the bill.
- Click here for FAQs.
- Click here to read policy highlights of the bill.
- Click here to read examples of how the bill helps hardworking Americans.
- Click here to find out what it means for you.
What tax reform means for you
American taxpayers send too many of their hard-earned dollars to Washington, making it harder for middle-class families to thrive. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act means bigger paychecks for hardworking families, more money in their pockets, and more flexibility in how they use it.
- Lowers income tax rates for low- and middle-income Americans to 0, 12, 25, and 35 percent. It would maintain a 39.6 percent rate on high-income Americans.
- Roughly doubles the amount of income excluded from taxes, with the standard deduction increasing from $12,700 to $24,000 for married couples and from $6,350 to $12,000 for individuals.
- Supports families by expanding the Child Tax Credit from $1,000 to $1,600, providing a $300 credit for each parent and non-child dependent, and preserving the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit and the Adoption Tax Credit.
- Makes no changes to critical retirement savings options like 401(k)s and Individual Retirement Accounts.
- Streamlines higher education benefits so families can save for college and other education expenses.
The tax code is overly complicated and full of special interest carve-outs and loopholes. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminates special interest tax breaks and makes the tax code so simple most people can file on a postcard-sized form.
- Simplifies the tax code so most individuals and families to file their taxes on a postcard-like form.
- Eliminates special-interest loopholes while maintaining important middle-class tax incentives.
- Continues important middle-class tax deductions, including for charitable contributions, home mortgage interest, and state and local property taxes up to $10,000.
- Protects family farms and small businesses from the Death Tax by immediately doubling the exemption and repealing the Death Tax fully after six years.
Our outdated tax code makes it harder for businesses to create jobs and compete in the 21st century economy. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will help businesses grow, invest, and hire more workers, and it will keep America competitive in the global economy.
- Lowers the tax rate on small businesses to no more than 25 percent, the lowest rate on Main Street job creators in nearly 80 years.
- Provides additional tax relief for small businesses and startups with a lower rate of 9 percent on their first $75,000 in income.
- Ensures tax relief is targeted to local job creators by establishing strong safeguards.
- Helps businesses invest and expand by allowing full and immediate expensing of new equipment and by preserving the ability of small businesses to write off interest on loans.
- Lowers the corporate tax rate from 35 to 20 percent, below the average among industrialized nations.
- Levels the playing field for American workers by ending incentives to send American jobs, manufacturing, and profits overseas.
- Supports “Made in America” innovation by maintaining the Research and Development Tax Credit.
Tell me what you think!
I want to know what you think about tax reform. Send me an email to share your opinion.
Learn more about tax reform
- Walorski Speaks on House Floor in Support of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Walorski Votes to Send Tax Cuts & Jobs Act to House Floor
- W&M: New Tax Foundation Report Highlights State-by-State Benefits of Pro-Growth Tax Bill
- W&M: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Helps Small Businesses, Homeowners, Americans Across the Board
- W&M: 5 Fast Facts About How the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Delivers Tax Relief for All Americans
- W&M: What President Trump, Job Creators, and Conservatives are Saying About the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Walorski Statement on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- W&M: W&M Announces Markup of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Walorski Applauds Passage of Budget That Clears Path for Tax Reform
- W&M: How Tax Reform Will Unleash U.S. Competitiveness and Create American Jobs
- Walorski Discusses Tax Reform at Local Businesses in Plymouth
- W&M: How Tax Reform Will Help Main Street Job Creators Nationwide
- W&M: A Tax Form So Simple It Could Fit on a Postcard
- W&M: How Tax Reform Helps Middle-Class Americans Throughout Their Lives
- WNDU: Trump pitches tax reform plan in Indianapolis
- Walorski Statement on Tax Reform Framework
- Walorski Statement on President Trump’s Speech
- W&M: Ways and Means Members Make the Case for Tax Reform
- Elkhart Truth: Congresswoman talks tax reform at Goshen Chamber
- Walorski Discusses Tax Reform with Hoosier Farmers
Earlier This Year
- Walorski: Small Businesses Need “Tax Reform That Works For You, Not Against You”
- Walorski: Tax Reform Will Boost Job Creation, Help Hoosier Families
- Walorski Highlights Hoosier Manufacturer in Ways and Means Tax Reform Video