Defense and National Security
Because of our military personnel and their families, the United States has the most capable and best trained fighting force in the world. I am honored to serve on the House Armed Services Committee where I am able to exercise congressional oversight on the Pentagon, and ensure that our men and women in uniform have the resources they need and receive the benefits they have earned.
More on Defense and National Security
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Rep. Jackie Walorski (IN-02), a member of the House Armed Services Committee, today supported legislation to strengthen the screening process for Syrian refugees.
WASHINGTON — The Department of Veterans Affairs unveiled a major overhaul of its nationwide health care system Wednesday that could give veterans better access to private doctors and hospitals.
The VA told House lawmakers it needs an initial $421 million in 2016 to begin the ambitious — and likely costly — shift to an integrated government and private sector system aimed at easing bottlenecks for veterans. The plan calls for consolidating various programs that now steer vets to private providers and creating new networks across the country.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Rep. Jackie Walorski (IN-02), a member of the House Armed Services Committee, attended Speaker Ryan’s bill signing of the National Defense Authorization Act. S. 1356, the FY16 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), passed the House and the Senate with overwhelming bipartisan support earlier this month, authorizing $607 billion in funding for the military and requires the president to prepare a plan to defeat ISIS.
House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Tuesday signed the 2016 defense policy bill, which now heads to the president's desk for his signature for the second time.
Ryan hailed the bipartisan bill, which authorizes $607 billion for the Pentagon, as "the kind of legislation that gives our armed forces the tools they need to be agile, to be effective, to be ready."
Governor Mike Pence is suspending the resettlement of Syrian refugees in Indiana, one of several governors to take this step in the wake of the deadly terrorist attacks in France.
Governor Mike Pence announced Monday the state will suspend its resettlement program for Syrian refugees until the federal government assures him proper security measures are in place.
Senate Pro Tem David Long says he supports the governor’s decision.
INDIANAPOLIS — Gov. Mike Pence says he is telling all state agencies to suspend the resettlement of additional Syrian refugees in Indiana following the deadly attacks in Paris.
Following reports that a Syrian refugee was among the perpetrators of the terrorists attacks that took place in Paris on Friday, Governor Mike Pence issued the following statement Monday:
Citing security concerns, Gov. Mike Pence announced Monday that Indiana will stop accepting Syrian refugees in the wake of the attacks in Paris on Friday.
In a statement released this morning, the governor said he’s directing state agencies to suspend the resettlement of additional Syrian refugees until the state receives assurance from the federal government that “proper security measures” have been put in place.
One of the terror suspects in the Paris attacks pretended to be a refugee in order to get into Europe. That's why 22 governors across the US are saying they won't allow Syrian refugees into their state. Michigan and Indiana's governors are among them.
There's plenty of controversy around those Governors' decisions to suspend resettlement of Syrian refugees. Some even say they don't have the power to do it. Others say it gives ISIS exactly what they want.
After the terrorist attacks in Paris, Republican Gov. Mike Pence said Monday that he is suspending the resettlement of Syrian refugees in Indiana.
He joined governors from at least 15 other states, including those from Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Ohio and Texas, who said they won't accept Syrian refugees after reports suggest one of the Paris bombers may have posed as a Syrian refugee.